There are a number of components associated with applying to the School Counseling Program.
1. Complete a Graduate Application for the University of Utah. Apply online through the ApplyYourself web application portal: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=utahgrad
a. The application fee is $55 for domestic applicants; $65 for international applicants.
b. On the application, be sure to select “School Counseling” and the location of the program you would like to attend: “Salt Lake City” or “St. George”
c. Our program begins in Summer, so select “Summer semester” as the semester you are applying for.
2. Upload your college Transcripts in the ApplyYourself web application portal.
a. You may upoad unofficial scanned images at this time.
b. If you are accepted into the program you will be asked to submit official transcripts.
3. Submit GRE Scores.
a. All of our department programs require a GRE score.
b. You do not need to take a psychology subtest, just the general GRE that provides a Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical score.
c. If you have taken the GRE within the last 5 years, you can upload your official results in the ApplyYourself web application portal.
d. If you have not taken the GRE (or your GRE scores are more than 5 years old), plan to take the test at least a month before the application deadline as it takes approximately 3 weeks for your score to be sent to the University of Utah.
e. When you take the GRE, have your scores forwarded to the University of Utah (Code 4853).
f. Need more information about the GRE? See: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/
g. Need to register? See: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/
h. Need to prepare? See: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare
4. Request Letters of Recommendation. In the ApplyYourself web application portal you will be prompted to add three recommenders’ e-mail addresses. They will receive an e-mail with a copy of the necessary Recommendation Form to fill out. They will be asked to complete the form and upload a letter of recommendation.
5. Write a Personal Statement. Submit a personal statement through the ApplyYourself web application portal. The personal statement should be no more than 2 pages and help us get to know you. You may want to describe your career goals, who or what influenced you with respect to the field of school counseling, and how you are a good fit based on your interests, skills, abilities, or personal characteristics. You may also want to talk about any experiences you have had working with children and adolescents or what excites you about the field.
6. Share your Resume/CV. The ApplyYourself web application portal will prompt you to upload a resume/CV. This is not a place to be shy. Share your educational experiences, employment history, volunteer service, memberships, awards, etc.
If you have questions about the ApplyYourself web application:
• Contact the Department of Educational Psychology at (801) 581-7148
If you want to know how to be a more competitive applicant: