Individuals with a Master's degree seeking to enroll in any master's level coursework in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in order to fulfill state licensure requirements i.e., Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing, (DOPL) will have their application for courses considered by the CCP faculty based on the criteria and policies specified below for Licensure Only Special Admit (LOSA) status.
Deadline for Application:
December 15th for start in Spring
April 15 for start in Fall
Applicants for certification only or (LOSA) MUST apply for admission in the CMHC program following the same procedures as an new applicant for the master's program. This means that you must complete the application form for Graduate Study and pay the application fees, as well as provide the necessary paperwork that is part of the admissions process by the deadline.
In order to maintain the quality of training in our courses, we will limit LOSA status to a minimum number of students depending on our resources. This means that the application process is competitive as we generally have a number of requests for LOSA status.
- Provide Evidence of a Master's Degree in Psychology, Counseling, or a closely-related field.
- Apply to DOPL for a license as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor (http://dopl.utah.gov/apps/CMHC.pdf). Your application will likely be denied but DOPL will provide you with a specific letter detailing the deficiencies you need to remediate.
- a formal departmental application
- official graduate transcript(s)
- Three (3) letters of reference
- The letter you receive from DOPL
- Letter of support from master's training coordinator
- Complete a non-matriculating student application (deadlines and applications can be found at: http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/nondegree/)
Recent changes to the Utah State Office of Education licensure requirements for school counselors has resulted in the discontinuation of our Licensure Only Special Admit program.
Individuals wishing more information should contact the USOE (http://schools.utah.gov/cte/guidance.html)