Licensure Only Special Admits (LOSA) Status in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
*The LOSA program is currently on hold for the
Spring 2023-Spring 2024 cycle and
is not accepting applications at this time. Thank you.
Individuals with a Master's degree seeking to enroll in any master's level coursework in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in order to fulfill state licensure requirements i.e., Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing, (DOPL) will have their application for courses considered by the CCP faculty based on the criteria and policies specified below for Licensure Only Special Admit (LOSA) status.
Deadline for Application:
December 15th for start in Spring
April 15 for start in Fall
Applicants for certification only or (LOSA) MUST apply for admission in the CMHC program following the same procedures as an new applicant for the master's program. This means that you must complete the application form for Graduate Study and pay the application fees, as well as provide the necessary paperwork that is part of the admissions process by the deadline.
In order to maintain the quality of training in our courses, we will limit LOSA status to a minimum number of students depending on our resources. This means that the application process is competitive as we generally have a number of requests for LOSA status.
- Provide Evidence of a Master's Degree in Psychology, Counseling, or a closely-related field.
- Apply to DOPL for a license as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor (http://dopl.utah.gov/apps/CMHC.pdf). Your application will likely be denied but DOPL will provide you with a specific letter detailing the deficiencies you need to remediate.
- a formal departmental application
- official graduate transcript(s)
- Three (3) letters of reference
- The letter you receive from DOPL
- Letter of support from master's training coordinator
- Complete a non-matriculating student application (deadlines and applications can be found at: https://admissions.utah.edu/apply/#non)
Recent changes to the Utah State Office of Education licensure requirements for school counselors has resulted in the discontinuation of our Licensure Only Special Admit program.
Individuals wishing more information should contact the USOE (https://www.schools.utah.gov/contact)
Need More Info?
Attend an information session to learn more about our M.Ed. Programs in Clinical Mental
Health Counseling (CMHC) and School Counseling (Salt Lake City or St. George Programs).
• Program Mission/Objectives
• Financial Aid
• How to Apply
Monthly Virtual Clinical Mental Health Counseling Information Sessions are scheduled for the following dates:
- September 1, 2022 from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- October 4, 2022 from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- November 14, 2022 from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- December 1, 2022 from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
For September 1st from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.:
Meeting ID: 919 1698 8750Passcode: 0901
For October 4th from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.:
Meeting ID: 994 2723 8067Passcode: 1004
For November 14th: from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 930 7034 5931
December 1st: from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.:
Meeting ID: 925 3035 5056Passcode: 1201
Please contact email@example.com for more information or questions.
For questions, call: 801-581-7148