You are here:

Licensure Only Special Admits (LOSA) Status in Clinical Mental Health Counseling


Individuals with a Master's degree seeking to enroll in any master's level coursework in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in order to fulfill state licensure requirements i.e., Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing, (DOPL) will have their application for courses considered by the CCP faculty based on the criteria and policies specified below for Licensure Only Special Admit (LOSA) status.

Deadline for Application:

December 15th for start in Spring 
April 15 for start in Fall

Applicants for certification only or (LOSA) MUST apply for admission in the CMHC program following the same procedures as an new applicant for the master's program. This means that you must complete the application form for Graduate Study and pay the application fees, as well as provide the necessary paperwork that is part of the admissions process by the deadline.

Enrollment Limits:

In order to maintain the quality of training in our courses, we will limit LOSA status to a minimum number of students depending on our resources. This means that the application process is competitive as we generally have a number of requests for LOSA status.

General Requirements:

  1. Provide Evidence of a Master's Degree in Psychology, Counseling, or a closely-related field.
  2. Apply to DOPL for a license as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor ( Your application will likely be denied but DOPL will provide you with a specific letter detailing the deficiencies you need to remediate.
  3. Submit:

Recent changes to the Utah State Office of Education licensure requirements for school counselors has resulted in the discontinuation of our Licensure Only Special Admit program.

Individuals wishing more information should contact the USOE (

Need More Info?

Attend an information session to learn more about our M.Ed. Programs in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) and School Counseling (Salt Lake City or St. George Programs).

• Program Mission/Objectives
• Coursework/Training
• Costs/Tuition
• Financial Aid
How to Apply


Salt Lake City Information Sessions

Please check back!

Sorenson Arts and Education Complex (SAEC)
Room 3155
1720 Campus Center Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112

St. George Information Sessions

Please check back!

Graduate Center at St. George
1071 East 100 South, Building A100
St. George, UT  84770

For questions, call:  801-581-7148



Last Updated: 7/9/19