Applied Positive Psychology Undergraduate Certificate
APPLICATION - Please complete your application and save it in PDF form. Send an email to JoLynn Yates at email@example.com and attach the PDF form to your email.
Please read the program description:
If you’d like a U of U positive psychology online course to count toward the certificate, you should apply for the certificate program either (1) before or (2) while you’re taking your first U of U positive psychology course(s). You can’t apply after completing all of the courses and receive the certificate. If you have already taken one or more required positive psychology course(s) without being admitted into the certificate program, you do not need to repeat them in order to earn the certificate. After you receive your acceptance letter, you may take the same number of elective credits to equal a total of 20 credit hours. If you email application materials, you should be notified within three months. If you apply via mail, you will be notified within 4 months of the receipt of all application materials.
For current University of Utah students who want to take UOnline positive psychology courses for the certificate program--see 3 steps below:
1. Email all unofficial electronic undergraduate transcripts showing at least a 3.0 GPA from your accredited colleges and universities directly to JoLynn at the Department of Educational Psychology: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Email the application and 3 recommendation documents. You will find these documents located above on this web page. You can type directly on these forms. For the recommendation forms, ask three professionals (professor, advisor, or work supervisor) to email the forms to JoLynn Yates at email@example.com. A recommendation letter is also helpful but is not required.
3. Email a 2-page personal statement describing your education/career goals directly to JoLynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For professionals, out-of-state students, or international students who would like to take positive psychology online courses for the certificate program-- see below:
1. Apply to the University of Utah as a non-matriculated student if your GPA is 3.0 or above.
As a non-matriculated student, University of Utah financial aid will not be available to you; however, you may use tuition assistance from your workplace or your own financing. See the Admissions website: http://admissions.utah.edu/nondegree/
2. Email all unofficial electronic undergraduate transcripts showing at least a 3.0 GPA from your accredited colleges and universities directly to JoLynn at the Department of Educational Psychology: email@example.com.
3. Email the application and 3 recommendation documents. You will find these documents located above on this web page. You can type directly on these forms. For the recommendation forms, ask three professionals (professor, advisor, or work supervisor) to email the forms to JoLynn Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org. A recommendation letter is also helpful but is not required.
4. Email a 2-page personal statement describing your education/career goals directly to JoLynn at email@example.com.
Note: All certificate students need a minimum GPA of 2.0 for 20 credit hours and must pass a comprehensive essay exam (a proctored exam) with a C grade at the end of their program.
Number of Credits for the Certificate Program
The number of credits is 20 credit hours, which is the minimum requirement in the University Policy 6-116 (Undergraduate Certificates).
You will need to take 7 online courses (4 required courses and 3 electives). If you are interested in taking on-campus courses, two elective Positive Psychology courses (The Psychology of Getting What You Want: Attitudes & Persuasion and Positive Health:Psychospiritual) are offered from other departments.
Please check tuition costs here: http://fbs.admin.utah.edu/income/tuition/undergraduate-tuition-per-semester/.
If you cannot scan and email your application material, please fax all items--except transcripts--to JoLynn Yates at (801) 581-5566 or mail all items to the following address:
J. Goodman Farr
Applied Positive Psychology Certificate Program
Department of Educational Psychology
University of Utah
1705 Campus Center Drive, Room 327
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9255
POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY ONLINE SERIES
ED PS 5060 Forgiveness & Anger Reduction
ED PS 5061 Change using Positive Psychology
ED PS 5063 Enhancing Happiness & Life Satisfaction
ED PS 5065 Quality Intimate Relationships
Choose 8 hours of any of the elective courses listed below.
ED PS 3-credit online courses:
- ED PS 5064 Divorce: Life Reconstruction
- ED PS 5066 Growing from Traumatic Life Experiences
- ED PS 5067 Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior
- ED PS 5068 Meditation: Expanding Awareness & Managing Stress
- ED PS 5069 Addictive Thinking
- ED PS 5070 Changing Children's Behavior Using Positive Methods
- ED PS 5071 Enhancing Midlife Satisfaction
- ED PS 5072 Positive Psychology of Career and Work
ED PS 2-credit online course:
- ED PS 5062 Coping with Difficult People
Positive Psychology Courses Offered on Campus in Other Departments:
- Psych 2440 The Psychology of Getting What you Want: Attitudes & Persuasion
- Health Edu 6040 Positive Health: Psychosocial - Seniors may take this course
To find out when the courses are offered, please